Learn Python programming with our Python tutorial for beginners. Dive into the basics and work your way up to advanced concepts. We cover a diverse set of topics, as you’ll soon discover. If you’re in a hurry to learn Python, continue with the next page to learn what Python is and what features make it such a great language.
Why should you read this beginners Python tutorial?
I admit there are many terrific tutorials out there. Why should you read this one, instead of the others?
Here are a few reasons:
- This tutorial is easy to read and ideal for beginning programmers. No fancy prose is to be found here. People tell me I explain stuff in simple terms, making it easy to understand for everyone.
- This Python tutorial covers the whole range of Python users: from absolute beginners to advanced programmers.
- This Python tutorial is practical. I kept the dry theory to an absolute minimum and focus on getting stuff done in the real world instead.
- It’s free!
What you will learn from this tutorial
You will learn about computer programming using the Python language. My goal is to make you understand the language and the ecosystem. After reading this Python tutorial, you will be able to continue exploring Python on your own. You won’t feel lost, but instead, you will know where to look when you’re trying to solve a problem.
To reach this goal, this Python tutorial covers a broad range of topics that will get you productive with Python:
- How to install Python and how to start using Python
- The Python language basics
- Python objects and classes
- Creating Python programs with an IDE
- The rich Python ecosystem, consisting of hundreds of thousands of helpful packages
- Creating virtual environments, installing packages, unit testing, logging, etcetera
- Debugging your code
- Deploying your Python code
I also included a few bonus chapters on different but very related topics, like using the Unix shell. Just take a look at the table of contents for all the details.
This tutorial is constantly evolving. New pages are added weekly, so make sure to check back regularly and sign up for the newsletter to stay up-to-date!
Who am I?
Good question! What makes me eligible to teach you Python?
I’m Erik, and I’ve been a professional software engineer for more than 25 years. I used many programming languages, but Python is still my favorite! I love programming and building complex systems, but I also love to write. That’s why I decided to combine these two, by writing this tutorial and creating this website.
Navigating the Python tutorial for beginners
You can browse the tutorial by using the menu at the top. Use the quick links at the top and end of each tutorial page to continue to the next topic, or go back to the previous one.
if ready: print("Alright, let's get started!")